The University of Otago Library Services Team were looking to refurbish the existing Student Study Space on the ground floor of the Information Services Building (ISB) on the Dunedin Campus. Housing the award winning Central Library, the ISB supports a mixture of large and small group study space and individual focused study areas.
The issue: The Library Services Team had identified that the existing space didn’t meet the needs of students:
- It was accommodating too many large group areas and not supporting the increasing demand for small group and individual study space.
- The furniture in the existing space was also tired and uninspiring.
The University selected our partner Europlan to work with the University of Otago Library management and the University’s Strategic Architect to provide solutions for individual and group study space.
The furniture solutions needed to:
- fulfil the functions specified within the space plan, providing solutions for individual and group study space
- be robust and inspiring, with an innate understanding of the flexibility essential to the University’s localised reconfiguration requirements
- zone the space, creating a transition from public space at the entrance of the building to more private and focused spaces at the rear